PACIFIC PUBLIC HEALTH TRAINING CENTER NEWS – NOVEMBER 2018
1. National Immunization Program, vaccine-Preventable Diseases: Los Angeles November 18-19 and Sacramento November 21-22.
A scheduled two-day live on-site version of the Epidemiology and Prevention of vaccine-preventable diseases course is scheduled in Norwalk (LA), California
from November 18-19, 2018, and Folsom (Sacramento), California November 21-22, 2018. For more information about either of these courses, contact Sandra Jo Hammer at the Immunization Branch, California Department of Health
Services, Phone (510) 540-2198, email Shammer@dhs.ca.gov. For course brochure and Registration form visit http://www.cdc.gov/nip/ed/CAFlier2018.pdf or http://www.cdc.gov/nip/ed/newonsite.htm
2. NIOSH-approved Pulmonary Function Testing, November
15-16, UCLA, Los Angeles.
The course provides instruction in all aspects of spirometry through lectures, practicum, and testing. Training is intended for occupational/public health
nurses, physicians, technicians, industrial hygienists and others responsible for accurate pulmonary function testing of employees. This NIOSH-approved course has been developed according to current American Thoracic Society Standards for Pulmonary Function Testing. Course is approved for AMA Category II credit; and is also approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing for 15 contact hours (CEP provider #10467). For specific details and registration forms, contact Ruth McIntyre-Birkner at 928-282-9196 or e-mail Ruth@mcintyrebirkner.com. The approved sponsor is McIntyre Birkner & Associates, Inc., Sedona, Arizona. It is co-sponsored by the Southern
California NIOSH ERC and the School of Nursing at UCLA.
3. CDC’s satellite broadcast on “Public-Private Partnerships: A New Model for Community Mobilization Against AIDS.” is scheduled for November 21, 2018
This live broadcast and webcast will discuss a variety of public-private partnerships engaging the private sector as a mobilizing agent and educational resource for community-based HIV prevention. Business and Labor Respond
to AIDS. The National AIDS Fund Community Partnerships and AIDS Act Now are model programs addressing policy development, management/leadership training, employee education, community and family engagement, and public and
private sector resources for HIV prevention. Viewers may fax in questions before and during the broadcast. For more information and to register visit
4. Care of the Critically Ill Child, November 13 & 14, 2018
at Loma Linda University.
This program is designed to provide relevant information on pediatric critical care. It is also designed to assist the PICU nurse in preparation for the pediatric CCRN examination. Topics presented will explore general pathophysiology, management and treatment for a wide array of disease states. This program is held at Wong Kerlee International Conference Center at Coleman Pavilion/Chan Shun Hall, Loma Linda University. A certificate of attendance will be provided upon completion of the course requirements, enabling participants to register for credit with the appropriate licensing board of associates. For information on Continuing Education (CE) credit for one-day attendance, please call (909) 558-8111. To register and for more information visit http://www.llu.edu/llumc/ceu/events/critcare/index.html
5. Overview of Terrorism: Bioterrorism/Emergency Preparedness November 08, 2018.
This broadcast is organized by Teleconference on Bioterrorism and emergency preparedness scheduled for November 8, 2018. 1.2 of CNE applicable for this
conference. For more information and/or to register, visit
6. UCR Extension Classes: The Biomedical Sciences Division and University Extension announce accreditation for Continuing Medical Education (CME) through the California Medical Association.
The University of California, Riverside, through a partnership between its Division of Biomedical Sciences and its continuing education division, University
Extension, promotes the ongoing medical education and services of physicians through seminars, conferences and courses to provide current information regarding basic science and clinical research including issues of primary
and managed care that are critical to optimum patient care. For Current course listings and details visit http://www.ucrextension.net/catalog/health.html. In addition UCR offers a variety of courses:
a. Fall Protection and Prevention: OSHA Compliance Workshop, November 22, 2018; 8am to 5 pm.
This course explores OSHA’s regulatory requirements and guidelines for preventing falls at worksites. Topics include fall prevention methods, fall arrest systems, fall protection plans and their respective engineering, personal protective equipment (PPE) and administrative criteria and practices. Meets OSHA’s training requirement for employees who are exposed to fall hazards. (.6 CEU) applicable. For more information visit http://www.ucrextension.net/catalog/environment.html#env1
7. Crisis and Emergency Risk Communication Satellite Conferences – 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., PT: Visit http://18.104.22.168/schedule.asp to register. Please
call 334-206-5618 if you have any questions.
Part 1: November 5, 2018
– Introduction To Crisis And Emergency Risk Communication
– Psychology Of A Crisis
Part 2: November 19, 2018
– Developing Messages To Fit The Target Audiences
– Crisis Communication Plan, First 48 Hours
Part 3: November 26, 2018
– Spokesperson Training
– Working With The Media
Part 4: December 3, 2018
– Working With Stakeholders And Partners For Effective Communication
– Other Communication Channels
Part 5: December 10, 2018
– Terrorism And Bioterrorism Communication Challenges
– Human Resources For Crisis Communication
Part 6: December 17, 2018
– Understanding The Roles Of Federal, State, and Local Health Partners
– Media And Public Health Law Register on-line: http://22.214.171.124/schedule.asp
8. The Silicon Valley Workforce Investment Network Presents: CRISIS AND OPPORTUNITY: California’s Health Care Workforce in Transition, December 10, 2018 at The Fairmont Hotel in Downtown San José. For more information please visit http://126.96.36.199/chcw/home.asp